Mitra Purkayashtha has been teaching the beautiful dance form of Odissi in the USA to pupils of different states of India. She was attracted to Odissi from a very young age and has been tied to the “Sammohan” aspect of the dance form ever since. She has been performing and teaching since many years and her ties to the dance form are almost ethereal. She has established a Jagganath temple in her home dance studio in New Jersey, and her students regularly perform Odissi to a mesmerised audience almost 35 years. She has enforced the culture of Odissi and that of Lord Jagannath in the USA, for which she is both adored and admired by the Odiya Community there. We are grateful to the beautiful danseuse who made the journey here from faraway United States, to learn as well as perform for us. In spite of her age, she is still as graceful and delicate as a teen when she is performing. We are blessed to have her amongst us , to watch her dance. She is performing “Brajaraj Kumara nasile bibeka mohara(The Prince of Brij killing my conscience).This is Radha sharing her innermost feelings with a “Sakhi”, about Krishna’s “Rasa Leela” with her.
We consider it our privilege to work with Disadvantaged Children and autistc adults. ...
Rhythms of Dance& Music is proud to support various Not for Profit organizations in the community. ...
Our dance studio has won awards for the excellent performance in Solo as well in group categories ...
We provide our students with opportunities for advancement both academically as well on stage performances. ...
- The passion of Dance, the love of Culture, the future of next generation, the promise to cultivate this rich Indian Classical tradition and impart it to the future generation, is my driving force.
- Dance is my Shakti, my Shanti, my Sadhana, my power, my peace, my prayer- my ecstacy-mind, body & soul.
- Rhythms of Dance & Music (RDM) follows the ancient traditions to provide a solid base and experiment with contemporary influences to keep these art forms relevant in today’s society. We offer easy understanding, personal attention and detailed instructions!
Why Rhythms of Dance & Music (RDM)…
- We provide our students with opportunities for advancement both academically as well on stage performances.
- We offer lessons to all age groups including children, pre-teens, teens, young adults, adults, matured adults & Seniors.
- Our dance studio has won awards for the excellent performance in Solo as well in group categories.
- Rhythms of Dance & Music is proud to support various Not for Profit organizations in the community.
- We consider it our privilege to work with Disadvantaged Children and autistc adults.
- Affiliation with all-India examinations in Dance.
- Winners of various dance competitions!
- Travelling performances throughtout US and internationally.
- Interviewed on TV & Print Media.